Thursday, July 23, 2009

Yes, I know I'm a nerd

I don't care what you think...Shakespeare is a genius. Yes, his work is hard to read. Yes, his ideas aren't always the best. Yes, he is a little overrated. But he's still a genius and I still love reading his works. The genius comes in the way he uses words. Here's a brief example:

Lysander: How now, my love! Why is your cheek so pale?
How chance the roses there do fade so fast?
Hermia: Belike for want of rain, which I could well
Beteem them from the tempest of my eyes.

Is that not so much more beautiful than:
Lysander: What's wrong? Why are you so pale?
Hermia: I think I'm going to cry.

I'm currently in the beginning-middleish part of A Midsummer Night's Dream for my English class. And I love it. I feel bad for Helena though...as those of you who have read or seen it know, the guy that she loves (Demetrius) that used to love her, doesn't love her anymore...He wants Hermia (Helena's best friend) now. It makes me want to cry. This is another passage that I like:

Helena:...O, teach me how you look, and with what art
You sway the motion of Demetrius' heart!
Hermia: I frown upon him, yet he loves me still.
Hel: O that your frowns would teach my smiles such skill!
Her: I give him curses, yet he gives me love.
Hel: O that my prayers could such affection move!
Her: The more I hate, the more he follows me.
Hel: The more I love, the more he hateth me.
Her: His folly, Helena, is no fault of mine.
Hel: None, but your beauty: would that fault were mine!

Read A Midsummer Night's Dream if you haven't already.

No comments:

Post a Comment